Having a low prevents you from uploading large files, plugins, and themes. If you're building a website that is media-heavy, this can prove to be an obstacle. It's imperative to increase the in WordPress or (even both) depending on the case.
Depending on your hosting provider and , there are a few ways to go around this. We'll try to cover everything in this blog post and show you how to increase the in WordPress.
Let's jump in!
What is the in WordPress
Uploading large files to a server will consume server resources. To prevent users from potentially causing server timeouts, the default maximum upload size in WordPress will range from 4 MB to 128 MB. Usually, the hosting provider sets this max upload size in WordPress.
The default at Snappy Host is set to 512 MB
To verify this, go to your 's Media Library. And you should see the following message ' : 2 GB.'
Another way to check this is to navigate to Tools -> Site Health, then select the info tab. From there you will need to select the menu item Media Handling. Finally, you can see the 'Max size of an ' value displayed.
Why Increase the in WordPress
There are numerous reasons as to why you need to increase your 's . Here are some of the most common ones:
- You wish to install a large theme, or plugin through the WordPress dashboard.
- Updating your WordPress site on a regular basis is a great way to keep your visitors engaged and coming back for more. That includes uploading images, videos, audio, and other media on a regular basis. However, that's not always possible when there is a file
- You want to upload a large video or image as your site's background or header.
- You're planning to sell digital files such as ebooks, photos, videos, themes and plugins directly from your site. Sometimes, these files can run up to hundreds of megabytes, even more in some cases.
These are just some examples so let's dive in and learn how we can increase the .
5 Ways to Increase the in WordPress
There are many ways you can fix the WordPress issue. We'll go over the 10 ways to increase this value.
- Contact Your Hosting Provider - If you're having issues with uploading files and size limits, you can reach out to your hosting provider for technical assistance, it's one of the quickest solutions, increasing the upload limit is a task for tech support. We're always happy to do this at Snappy Host, so don't hesitate to get in touch via live chat or through a ticket.
- Increase the in WordPress Multisite - If you're running a WordPress multisite, then you can modify the max upload
- Update Your '.htaccess' - If your web server is running on Apache, you can update your site's .htaccess file to increase the max upload size in WordPress. You can find your .htaccess file in the WordPress site's root directory.
- Create or Edit the existing '.user.ini' - If your current hosting provider has locked down the global PHP settings, they may have configured the server to work with .user.ini files instead of .php.ini files. From these two files, you can edit the core values for the maximum upload
- cPanel PHP options - If your hosting provider uses the cPanel dashboard to help you manage your server and site config, you can change the max upload
As you've seen, increasing the in WordPress isn't too hard. Whether you're building a that media-rich, a gallery website, or even a portfolio site, it's just a case of knowing where to look and what commands or tools to use.